Are Herbal Remedies Safe?

“Natural” does not necessarily imply “Pure”. “Herbal based” does not always indicate it is 100 percent herbal in makeup. “Organic” does not necessarily suggest it is truly, purely, natural. And something that is licensed “98% Natural and Organic” is actually”2% corrupted material”. Let me ask this: If you take a 10 ounce glass of filtered water, ensured pure, beautiful, non-harmful, and add 1/8th of an ounce of rat toxin, how safe is that water to drink? If you are using an item that is “98 percent pure”, just how pure is that 100 percent item– what is the other 2 percent of it contributing to the overall product?

Are Herbal Remedies Safe? 1

People who are suspicious of conventional medications frequently choose to self medicate with natural treatments in the belief that “natural” equals ‘safe.” Commonly thought about innocuous, herbal remedies may contain effective chemicals such as quinine from cinchona bark, digitalis (a heart drug) from foxgloves or Taxol (an anti-cancer remedy) from yew bark and some include contaminants such as arsenic, lead and other metals. An organic solution considered medicinal purposes is not an “over the-counter drug”, however it does be worthy of caution and respect.

Probably the significant difference in between “drugs” from one of the significant drug producers and the herbs you grow in your herb garden or collect growing wild in nature is that the “produced drug” is generally a particular extract from the whole and as such is more concentrated and removes all the other involved elements discovered in the complete herb.  By contrast, the safety profile of a lot of herbal items is not listed. And there is a basic “unawareness” of the absence of guidelines governing their usage by the public as a whole. The majority of organic concoctions are not legally allowed to be offered as medications in Canada or the USA but are classified as foods. Given that they’re regarded as foods, cautioning labels are not required. Only a few natural items bear Federal Drug Identification Numbers (DIN) authorizing their sale as drugs.

Reports about the unfavorable results of some organic remedies are emerging, varying from small to major, from lethal poisonings to allergic responses. Many of the unfavorable effects reported from herbs are from mis-identification and consist of: serious allergic shock from camomile tea, heart problems from liquorice tonics, liver toxicity from comfrey and lightheadedness from oleander tea. Gordolobos tea containing this active ingredient – widely consumed in the Southern U.S. – is no longer considered safe.

Harmful overdoses from herbals are probably when they’re made into strong teas, soaked for 10-20 minutes or more. For example. liquorice includes chemicals that, taken in large amounts, can trigger sodium and water retention, high blood pressure as well as heart attack. In addition, herbal treatments can communicate with OTC drugs. Some plants such as tonka beans, melilot and woodruff, which increase bleeding, must not be consumed by those routinely taking Aspirin. Numerous herbs – such as hellebore and hawthorn – can exacerbate the effects of the heart medication digitalis. Others such as bayberry, juniper and St. John’s Wort, even coffee, are effective diuretics that must not be taken if you are currently taking prescription diuretics. In the last analysis, searching for natural items refers “know your item” – or stay away!

“Herbal based” does not always mean it is 100 percent natural in makeup. In addition, herbal remedies can engage with OTC drugs.

“Just Go!” Don’t Stop.

Share
2 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Song
Song
3 years ago

Hi, we all know words have power. The people in marketing always position the best aspect of a product. That’s why when it comes to herbs, they use words like ‘natural’, ‘organic’, ‘chemical-free’ etc.

Your article highlights a problem in mis-identification. I believe this can be accidental or to satisfy a marketing hype. Hence, to the buyer beware! We really need to check the labelling, the fine prints and product reviews.

Good one!

Song